About This Textbook
Principles of Sociological Inquiry: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods emphasizes the relevance of research methods for the everyday lives of its readers, undergraduate students. Each chapter describes how research methodology is useful for students in the multiple roles they fill:
- As consumers of popular and public information,
- As citizens in a society where findings from social research shape laws, policies, and public life, and
- As current and future employees. Connections to these roles are made throughout and directly within the main text of the book.
Principles of Sociological Inquiry: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods also provides balanced coverage of qualitative and quantitative approaches by integrating a variety of examples from recent and classic sociological research. The text challenges students to debate and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of both approaches.
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Share - Copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Adapt - Remix, transform, and build upon the material
As long as you follow these terms:
Give credit - You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
Don't use commercially - You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
Share with the same license - If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
No further restrictions - You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Field Expert Reviews
Textbooks are reviewed by subject matter experts in addition to our quality assurance process. Reviewers are paid an honourarium to provide their honest feedback on the material.