About This Textbook
Whether you choose to work in an electrical trade, a mechanical trade, or one of the construction trades, you will probably be faced with using and/or maintaining a variety of electrical measuring instruments. This Competency will introduce you to three basic meters for measuring voltage, current, and resistance. You must have a basic understanding of the purpose and operation of each type of meter before you attempt to use one. If you connect a meter incorrectly, you not only risk damaging the instrument, but more importantly, you or some innocent bystander could receive a serious electrical shock.
The following list of lines and competencies was generated with the goal of creating an entry-level trades training resource, while still offering the flexibility for lines to be used as stand-alone books.
- E-1 Describe the Basic Principles of Electricity,
- E-2 Identify Common Circuit Components and Their Symbols,
- E-3 Explain Wiring Connections,
- E-4 Use Multimeters.
Special thanks to CAPER-BC for creating the audio recording for each Competency.
What’s In This Book
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
As long as you follow these terms:
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.