About This Textbook
As a trades worker you have a responsibility to work safely, and fire prevention is a primary concern. Many of the work tasks you carry out include the application of heat and flame. You should be able to apply fire prevention practices, identify fire causes, and identify and apply fire extinguishing agents to control or extinguish a fire. You are not expected to be an expert firefighter, but you may have to deal with a fire to protect your safety and the safety of others.
The following list of lines and competencies was generated with the goal of creating an entry-level trades training resource, while still offering the flexibility for lines to be used as stand-alone books. Line A Books include:
- A-1 Control Workplace Hazards,
- A-2 Describe WorkSafeBC Regulations,
- A-3 Handle Hazardous Materials Safely,
- A-4 Describe Personal Safety Practices,
- A-5 Describe Fire Safety.
Special thanks to CAPER-BC (https://caperbc.ca/) for creating the audio recording for each Competency.
What’s In This Book
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
As long as you follow these terms:
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Field Expert Reviews
Textbooks are reviewed by subject matter experts in addition to our quality assurance process. Reviewers are paid an honourarium to provide their honest feedback on the material.