About This Textbook
These Learning Tasks describe the clothing and protective equipment workers must wear on the job site and the safety precautions they must take to protect themselves and others from injury. Special personal protective equipment (PPE) is required on the job site. The equipment used will depend on the hazards anticipated. When working at elevations, significant hazards are present and fall protection is normally required. Knowing the hazards allows workers to select methods to reduce the hazard and prevent injury. Workers often lift and move heavy and awkward objects. Failure to follow proper lifting procedures can cause serious and permanent back damage.
The following list of lines and competencies was generated with the goal of creating an entry-level trades training resource, while still offering the flexibility for lines to be used as stand-alone books. Line A Books include:
- A-1 Control Workplace Hazards,
- A-2 Describe WorkSafeBC Regulations,
- A-3 Handle Hazardous Materials Safely,
- A-4 Describe Personal Safety Practices,
- A-5 Describe Fire Safety.
Special thanks to CAPER-BC (https://caperbc.ca/) for creating the audio recording of Competency A-4.
What’s In This Book
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
As long as you follow these terms:
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Field Expert Reviews
Textbooks are reviewed by subject matter experts in addition to our quality assurance process. Reviewers are paid an honourarium to provide their honest feedback on the material.