About This Textbook
In most provinces, one or more agencies are responsible for safe, healthful working environments at job sites. These organizations normally have names such as the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) or the Occupational Health and Safety Department. WorkSafeBC is the provincial organization that promotes workplace health and safety for workers and employers in BC. When a work-related injury, disease, or death occurs, WorkSafeBC collaborates with those involved to provide return-to-work rehabilitation, health-care benefits, compensation, and a range of other services. WorkSafeBC also consults with and educates employers and workers on safe work practices. This includes monitoring workplaces within its jurisdiction.
The following list of lines and competencies was generated with the goal of creating an entry-level trades training resource, while still offering the flexibility for lines to be used as stand-alone books. Line A Books include:
- A-1 Control Workplace Hazards,
- A-2 Describe WorkSafeBC Regulations,
- A-3 Handle Hazardous Materials Safely,
- A-4 Describe Personal Safety Practices,
- A-5 Describe Fire Safety.
Special thanks to CAPER-BC (https://caperbc.ca/) for creating the audio recording for each Competency.
What’s In This Book
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Share - You may copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Adapt - You may remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
As long as you follow these terms:
Give credit - You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
Field Expert Reviews
Textbooks are reviewed by subject matter experts in addition to our quality assurance process. Reviewers are paid an honourarium to provide their honest feedback on the material.