About This Textbook
We cannot solve global challenges unless women participate fully in efforts to find solutions. Female participation in the private sector is a crucial economic driver for societies worldwide. Economic security benefits every facet of a woman’s life, with positive effects on the health, education and vitality of families. Learn about women who are changing their societies for the better.
This book is based on the twelve critical areas of concern identified in the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action at the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing in 1995:
- The burden of poverty on women
- unequal access to education and training
- inequalities and inadequacies in and unequal access to health care and related services
- violence against women
- the effects of armed or other kinds of conflict on women
- including those living under
- foreign occupation
- inequality in economic structures and policies
- inequality between men and women in the sharing of power and decision-making at all levels
- insufficient mechanisms at all levels to promote the advancement of women
- lack of respect for and inadequate promotion and protection of the human rights of women
- stereotyping of women and inequality in women’s access to and participation in all communication systemsespecially in the media
- gender inequalities in the management of natural resources and in the safeguarding of the environment
- persistent discrimination against and violation of the rights of the girl child
This extended version of Global Women’s Issues: Women in the World Today includes, for each chapter
- a summary
- key words
- multiple choice questions
- discussion questions
- essay questions
- a list of additional resources
Copies of the original book are also available in Arabic, Portuguese, and Spanish.
What’s In This Book
The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law.
You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Share - You may copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Adapt - You may remix, transform, and build upon the materila for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Field Expert Reviews
Textbooks are reviewed by subject matter experts in addition to our quality assurance process. Reviewers are paid an honourarium to provide their honest feedback on the material.