About This Textbook
forall x: Calgary is a full-featured textbook on formal logic. It covers key notions of logic such as
- consequence and validity of arguments
- the syntax of truth-functional propositional logic TFL and truth-table semantics
- the syntax of first-order (predicate) logic FOL with identity (first-order interpretations)
- translating (formalizing) English in TFL and FOL
- Fitch-style natural deduction proof systems for both TFL and FOL
It also deals with some advanced topics such as modal logic, soundness, and functional completeness. Exercises with solutions are available. It is provided in PDF (for screen reading, printing, and a special version for dyslexics) and in LaTeX source code. A proof editor/checker for the proof system used is available at proofs.openlogicproject.org.
Aaron Thomas-Bolduc and Richard Zach
Fall 2021 Edition
What’s In This Book
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
ShareYou may copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
AdaptYou may remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
As long as you follow these terms:
Give creditYou must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.