About This Textbook
This book is the result of a co-design project in a class in the Masters of Education program at the University of Calgary. The course, and the resulting book, focus primarily on the safe and ethical use of technology in digital learning environments. The course was organized according to four topics based on Farrow’s (2016) Framework for the Ethics of Open Education. It discusses the following topics:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Social networking services (SNS)
- 3D printing
- Resource sharing
- Adaptive learning systems
- Assistive technologies
In each of the nine chapters, the authors discuss the connection to the value of technology in education, and practical possibilities of learning technologies for inclusive, participatory, democratic, and pluralistic educational paradigms.
Using This Material
This resource is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Share - You may copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Adapt - You may remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
As long as you follow these terms:
Give credit - You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
Other things to know:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.